This day and age, the most obvious reason why someone might consider seeing a registered dietitian/nutritionist is for help losing weight.
That’s understandable, and probably the main reason someone might see an RD, but there are many other reasons why receiving personalized nutrition counseling may be a great investment in your health.
To figure out if meeting with an RD may be right for you, try asking yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to lose or gain weight to improve your overall health?
- Are you pregnant, looking to become pregnant, or recently had a baby and would like to lose some excess weight?
- Do you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
- Are you trying to manage a chronic health problem like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes?
- Have you been diagnosed with prediabetes and would like to reverse the trend to avoid developing diabetes?
- Are you undergoing cancer treatment and need help, or have a history of cancer in your family and want to lower your risk as much as possible through diet and lifestyle change?
- Are you looking for ways to maintain your health in your older years?
- Are you wondering which dietary supplements you should consider taking, or whether some supplement you’ve read about is safe and effective?
- Do you simply need help taking all the nutrition information you know (or need clarification on) and putting it into practice by developing shopping, cooking and meal planning strategies?
These are just a few of the reasons people seek the expert, science-based advice of a registered dietitian who can help you discover how to make realistic, sustainable diet and lifestyle changes, starting with where you are and moving forward using a personalized approach.
TO find a RD near you, go to www.eatright.org and enter your area code on the “Find a Registered Dietitian” page.